COMMUNITY FORUMS

Return to: Forums » Questions » Underwater speakers - Audio out & power level
Subject: Underwater speakers - Audio out & power level
Author: EdP (07:38AM, Jun 12, 2010 - last edited 07:45AM, Jun 12, 2010)

I am trying to go one step beyond outdoor music by also adding underwater music capability in my pool. I found some underwater speakers that might work, and am looking for a quality outdoor sound system I can drive with an iphone or other MP3, and use the outdoor sound system to drive the underwater speakers. The speakers take 50W Audio In. I saw your system puts out 100W. Does your SoundCast system have audio out (or is the audio in also an audio out?) and what power level for external driving is possible?. I also want your awesome sound in the deck area at the same time. The speakers I am looking at are the DARAVOC JX002, which was the best/most durable that I could find that didn't need a receptical. I could take over the light receptical, but want to make sure the concept works first.
Sign In or Create an Account to Reply to this Topic
Subject: re: Underwater speakers - Audio out & power level
Author: OmarV (02:06PM, Jun 14, 2010 - last edited 05:08PM, Jun 17, 2010)

Ed,

Your idea is very creative, it really sounds like fun. To answer one of your questions, OutCast doesn’t have any audio output, just an auxiliary input. The only way I could see this scenario working with our products is using our SurroundCast unit. This one is intended for home theater applications where audio needs to be sent to rear speakers wirelessly; however it might work in different applications like the one you’re describing. I have to warn you that being under ground the unit can decrease its range and transmission power, also high temperatures could affect the operation, so in the end it will be a matter of experimenting and see how it works for you.

In your application I see an iPod or audio source connected to your Audio Receiver and one SurroundCast transmitter connected to the speaker output terminals (maybe a secondary set of speaker output terminals of your Audio Receiver). On the pool side the SurroundCast receiver would connect to a pair of your underwater speakers (you will need long cables to wire your speakers).

SurroundCast is rated at 30W per channel (60W total). Even though you’re looking for 100W I honestly think that 60 will be much more than enough, maybe it will still be too much for underwater sound because as physics tells us, sound travels much more easily through liquids and solids, so be careful and don’t get your guests deaf underwater!
Now, SurroundCast is not water proof so you will have to take care of it to avoid exposure to water and damage to the system as well as potential accidents.

For the other part of the project what you could do is connect one of our transmitters (UAT or iCast) to an auxiliary output from your Audio Receiver (line level output that is) and link it wirelessly to an OutCast speaker located on your deck. In this way the same audio will be sent to 2 different locations (deck and pool). You need this second transmitter because SurroundCast transmitter is not compatible with OutCast.

I hope this gives you a general idea on how you can use Soundcast systems in your project. Reliable operation will depend on the distance from transmitter to the receiver located underground, obstacles in between and the amount of metal and RF signals around the area. Setting up and locating properly all the devices can make things work nicely for you.
Sign In or Create an Account to Reply to this Topic
Return to: Forums » Questions