Community Forums

Rants and Raves » Random thumping noise from Sub
Subject: Random thumping noise from Sub
Author: GaryN (05:45AM, May 17, 2011)

My wireless subcast works great EXCEPT that my subwoofer emits random thumping sounds even with the receiver turned OFF. I put my finger on the subwoofer cone and could feel it 'pulse' at random. I changed channels and sensitivity but the thump is still there. Does anyone know what could cause this and, more importantly, how to stop it?
Sign In or Create an Account to Reply to this Topic
Subject: re: Random thumping noise from Sub
Author: OmarV (09:17AM, May 17, 2011)

Gary, I would look for sources or RF like wireless routers or any other device that works with wireless signals. If you have the transmitter or receiver close to one of these devices that would explain why you're having this problem. If you have several wireless devices the best thing to do is re arrange your set up moving things around to minimize interference or "noise" from these devices. Another thing to check is if you have the soundcast devices next to metallic objects, or inside metal enclosures or somewhere where there are blocking walls or thick objects primarily metallic, or even a fish tank as water is one of the things that attenuate the signal. Try putting the transmitter in a higher place. I hope this helps.
Subject: re: Random thumping noise from Sub
Author: GaryN (10:09AM, May 17, 2011)

OmarV wrote:
Gary, I would look for sources or RF like wireless routers or any other device that works with wireless signals. If you have the transmitter or receiver close to one of these devices that would explain why you're having this problem. If you have several wireless devices the best thing to do is re arrange your set up moving things around to minimize interference or "noise" from these devices. Another thing to check is if you have the soundcast devices next to metallic objects, or inside metal enclosures or somewhere where there are blocking walls or thick objects primarily metallic, or even a fish tank as water is one of the things that attenuate the signal. Try putting the transmitter in a higher place. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. I also have a wireless surround system (Rocketfish) and cordless phone in the same room so that could be the problem. I'll try moving things around or seeing if I can make any changes on the Rocketfish system to make this go away.
McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams