COMMUNITY FORUMS

Return to: Forums » Rants and Raves » Outcast features need a. It
Subject: Outcast features need a. It
Author: AtilioS (08:30AM, Jan 04, 2009)

Well, first of all I love the sound that the outcast creates. And the fact that it comes from a wireless signal, its truly amazing. I was however, disapponted at the fact that the transmitter did not charge my iPhone. The battery life on the outcast is great but what good is it if i have to keep charging my iPhone seperately. Also, the point of getting the soundcast was to listen to my my iPhone's pandora music channels which for some reason the outcast does not transmit very well. The sounds fades in and out. I'm sure there are ways to remedy some I these issues but at $800 bucks! I should be able to charge, and play with very little effort.
Sign In or Create an Account to Reply to this Topic
Subject: re: Outcast features need a. It
Author: MarcusP (04:26PM, Feb 18, 2009)

I think you will find that very few iPod docks will charge an iPhone or iTouch, as the point for the power supply has been changed from the original specs given by Apple. Working in the Hi-Fi industry, I can tell you that this is our most common gripe with Apple. Ordinarily a company will notify its support company of any changes to something as obvious as this. No effort was made by Apple whatsoever. All other iPods will charge, no problem.
Author: MalH (02:55PM, Feb 26, 2009 - last edited 02:57PM, Feb 26, 2009)

With respect. Apple posts its intended changes in its tech bulletin board and it is really the manufacturers obligation to check it regularly. The change in charging circuits slipped by many vendors and we are in the process of not only charging the iPhone but getting Authentication certified by Apple. This is a lengthy and costly process but we realize we need to do this and will. Keep your eyes on the web site for when iPhone charging and authentication is available.

Pandora works perfectly with iPod touch and other products using our UAT through a PC or Mac. Through the iPhone we have little control and that is the problem on this issue.
Author: BobJ (04:53AM, Mar 02, 2009)

I *was* considering an Outcast system until I read this thread about the iCast Transmitter NOT charging either the iPhone or iTouch. In my opinion, this significantly reduces the utility and value of the overall rather expensive system as I was hoping to replace a landline with an iPhone and use the iCast as a docking/charging/music distribution point.

My purchase will be on hold until iCast charging of the iPhone/Touch is implemented. Can you give an idea of when this update will be available and what form it will take?

I also understand that an Outcast Jr is in the works? When will the details for that product be released?
Subject: Re; OutCast features
Author: MalH (03:19PM, Mar 02, 2009 - last edited 03:22PM, Mar 02, 2009)

There are a couple of options so that you do not have to wait to purchase the OutCast. 1. Buy it with the UAT transmitter instead of the iCast transmitter. The UAT will allow you to play and control all of your music directly off of your playlists, iTunes or otherwise. At the point that we offer iCast transmitter with iPhone charging and authentication you can add an additional transmitter if you wish. The UAT offers you the additional utility of being able to play any MP3 player through the additional mini jack it has included. 2. Play the iPhone through the existing transmitter for now. When we announce the new tx we will try to make some accomodation to loyal customers who face this difficulty.

Apple is big enough that they do not have to ask us permission to make changes to their spec. We were among 110 vendors facing this unexpected change. The charging part is finished, but the authentication is a very difficult, time consuming and costly process. We're workin' on it, but not quoting a time frame (engineers!).

OutCast Jr. is a smaller unit, with a smaller battery, charging outboard, shipped without TX so that you can choose which you want UAT or iCast. It will be available April 1, 2009. It is shown on the web site.
Author: BobJ (06:31AM, Mar 03, 2009)

As I look into the iCast & UAT features and understand things, I envision two additional problems beyond the iPhone charging concern.

First, the iCast offers a "dual" purpose I/O port. Outbound when an iPhone is docked and inbound otherwise. This is problematic in that A/V equipment generally has connectors that are dedicated either input or output. As such, cabling the iCast to a "media" center would require special attention or at the very least a manual cable change depending on iPhone presence or absence in the dock. For instance, if I'd like to iCast my CD player I'd have to ensure the iPhone is not docked and manually connect my CD player output to the iCast dual purpose I/O connector. If I'd like to iCast iPhone content and/or use headphones, I'd dock the iPhone but most likely need to disconnect the CD player from the iCast. Might be trivial but seems a step that I shouldn't be dictated to take according to iCast design. And how does this potentially affect any various connected components *if* I should forget to make the cabling changes?

Second, the UAT appears to need power from a USB connection. If once again the goal for the UAT is integration into a media system, at least one component would need to feature a USB port which I realize are becoming more common but as of this writing I don't believe most typical A/V home installations include components that are there just yet.

I'm not trying to be negative here, just trying to fully understand features on products I consider fairly pricey for their purpose. I don't think anyone would be pleased to get their $800 wireless speaker system in hand only to find it didn't fully perform as expected.

Thanks for responding.
Author: MalH (05:10PM, Mar 09, 2009)

The UAT comes with an adapter that will allow you to use a standard 120V or 240V plug (depending on where you buy it). It can be USB or a powered plug.

The system can be plugged in to any line-in music source. The OutCast is designed for versatility and the UAT simply provides you with the ability to play from either a playlist on a PC or from your home theater, cd player etc.

We have yet to have significant complaints on OutCast. The charging dock for the iPhone is now available in limited quantities. The iPhone authentication is still in the works.
Author: LukeB (11:15AM, Mar 22, 2009)

I use the scosche passPORT Home Dock to charge my iphone whilst playing music - it fits the icast perfectly.
Author: BobJ (09:05AM, Mar 24, 2009 - last edited 09:06AM, Mar 24, 2009)

I think the point Atilios was trying to make in his Jan 4th post, and I completly agree if I'm reading him right, is that Users of the iCast Transmitter ("dock") shouldn't need to purchase another gizmo to charge the iPhone.

MalH, you indicated (Mar 9th);
"The charging dock for the iPhone is now available in limited quantities."

Where can we get more details (price, pre-release availability, etc) on the iCast Transmitter w/charging option and when do you anticipate official release of the product?

Additonally, you mention (Mar 2nd);
"When we announce the new tx (I'm assuming charging version) we will try to make some accomodation to loyal customers who face this difficulty."

Has this been formalized in writing for those of us willing purchase now and take advantage of your offer?

Thanks again,
Bob
Author: MalH (04:00PM, Mar 24, 2009)

I do not have a final delivery date on mass production of charging circuit. We are trying to get iPhone Authentication done at the same time so that we can get WWI from Apple as well. As soon as I can say definitively when the full tilt boogie will be available I will make an offer to those who would like to upgrade. I won't make promises I cannot keep.
Subject: re: Outcast iphone charging
Author: KevinC (01:41PM, Jul 19, 2009)

I am disappointed to see the iphone charger is now available about 4 weeks after I bought mine- is there a path to upgrade or trade?
Author: MalH (10:05AM, Jul 28, 2009)

Please contact customer service for resolution.
Return to: Forums » Rants and Raves